The Benefits of Managed Endpoint Detection & Response for Cybersecurity
A strong Managed Endpoint Detection & Response platform, or MEDR, positions credit unions to eliminate threats and minimize the impact of a cyberattack by detecting and investigating threats proactively. MEDR platforms offer a range of benefits to credit unions to help them protect their systems and data. Here are some of the key benefits of using an MEDR:
- Endpoint Protection: It provides comprehensive endpoint protection, which means it safeguards individual devices like computers, laptops and servers. It uses behavior-based detection and response mechanisms to identify and prevent various types of threats, including malware, ransomware and advanced persistent threats (APTs).
- AI-Powered Threat Detection: The platforms leverage artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) algorithms to detect and respond to evolving cyberthreats. They can detect malicious activities in real-time, identify previously unknown threats and automatically respond to security incidents, minimizing the risk of successful attacks.
- Autonomous Response: Autonomous response capabilities enable MEDR platforms to automatically contain and remediate threats without requiring human intervention. It can isolate compromised endpoints, block malicious processes and even roll back any changes made by threats, effectively mitigating the impact of an attack, and reducing incident response time.
- Threat Hunting and Investigation: These platforms offer advanced threat hunting and investigation capabilities, allowing security teams to proactively search for indicators of compromise (IOCs) and identify potential threats. They provide detailed visibility into endpoint activities, enabling thorough investigation and analysis of security incidents.
- Centralized Management: Solutions like SentinelOne provide a centralized management console that allows administrators to monitor and manage security across the credit union’s endpoints from a single interface. This simplifies the deployment of security policies, facilitates real-time monitoring and provides comprehensive reporting and analytics for better visibility into the overall security posture.
- Scalability and Flexibility: MEDR platforms are designed to scale and adapt to the needs of credit unions of all sizes. An MEDR platform can be deployed and managed effectively for any credit union, regardless of size, providing consistent protection across all endpoints and adapting to changing threat landscapes.
- 24/7 Support: Strong MEDR platforms offer around-the-clock support to assist IT teams in deploying, configuring and maintaining their cybersecurity infrastructure. In case of any issues or security incidents, their support teams are available to provide prompt assistance and help resolve problems effectively.
A common question raised when credit unions are considering implementing an MEDR platform is whether it replaces their current antivirus (AV) endpoint solution. There is no single answer to this important question – and the discussion around it will lead credit unions to make the best decision for their individual shops. An MEDR solution can replace an endpoint AV solution, or it can work in parallel. If a credit union’s IT team is comfortable with their current AV solution, and doesn’t have any issues supporting it, there is no harm in continuing to use that solution. If the IT team is having difficulty supporting their current endpoint AV solution, or feel that it’s not fully effective in protecting them from viruses, then they should consider a robust MEDR solution that would replace their endpoint AV solution, giving the IT team peace of mind and allowing them to focus on other critical tasks.
Overall, an MEDR platform’s purpose is to provide advanced endpoint detection, AI-driven threat detection, autonomous response capabilities, centralized management and scalable deployment options. These features make it a valuable cybersecurity solution for credit unions aiming to enhance their defenses against a wide range of cyberthreats. This goes beyond what traditional endpoint AV solutions provide and results in better protection of your endpoints and ultimately, your member data.
Connect with SilverSky to learn more.
As a CUNA Strategic Services-approved cybersecurity provider, SilverSky has protected credit unions and other financial institutions for more than twenty years.